Lets Protest and Appeal Those Increases
Hey Laurel Canyon Neighbors! I have built reports that help residents all over Helotes protest their property taxes. Here is this years overall list of homes that have sold in 2022 in Laurel Canyon. The report below is a one-line summary of all the homes to get a quick glance. Once you pick out which homes may help, you can find more details and print from HERE. Please do NOT provide more comps than the homes that will HELP your protest. You don’t want to make it easier for the appraisal district to justify their comps.
I know these values can be shocking if you have not heard yet. I am afraid they are here to stay for awhile. Texas is already a great place to live and others have discovered it is also cost efficient.
If you are thinking of selling, feel free to reach out to me! I’m right around the corner.
How to Use the Laurel Canyon Information to Protest:
- You can find your homes square footage and property appraisal on the Bexar County Appraisal District
- On the Laurel Canyon 2022 list below, note the value and property addresses that are close to or the exact square footage as your home.
- IF NOT EXACT SQUARE FEET…
- Using those selected properties look at the column that says sold/sqft and note that price. Of course, the lower the price per square foot the worse shape it is in, and vise versa.
- Multiply one of the selected sold/sqft by your number of square footage to get as estimate of the value of your home. You can do this for as many properties you want so you can get a range of data.
- IF YOU NEED TO SEND IN AFTER INITIAL PROTEST Print out the selected PROPERTIES on the DETAILED LINKED REPORT HERE that match your home best as proof of value as documentation for your appraisal district protest.
- IF YOU NEED TO SEND IN AFTER INITIAL PROTEST Be sure to take pictures of everything wrong with your home to upload for your Notice of Protest.
Disclaimer: This represents an estimated sale price for this property. It is not the same as the opinion of value in an appraisal developed by a licensed appraiser under the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice.
Now that you have a predicted value for your home you are ready! Visit Bexar County Appraisal District HERE to file your Notice of Protest. Create your Online Portal if you have not done so in past years and follow the steps shown in the infograph.
Next, wait and see what they say. It could be they do not agree with your value assessment and will leave the appraisal value the same. They could come back and offer a reduced assessment that you are satisfied with and will accept.
If you are still not satisfied with your, hopefully reduced, appraisal you will need to Appeal. Last year I heard of may protesting 2 times and they reduced the assessment further without have to appear in person. This could be different this year and they will only accept your protest once before you have to appeal.
Lets keep each other informed so we get an idea of what might benefit us all this year.
New Step before Step 3 added this year. Place your comments here and add consent to receive text message.
Evidence Packet Available… now what
Go back to Bexar County Appraisal District HERE to your Online Portal, or just click the link send in the Evidence Package Available email.
Follow the steps in the pictures… View the Evidence View and then Upload the comps you were provided. Please do NOT send them the whole set of comps I provided you, only the comps that HELP your protest and support the “Opinion of Value” you gave them when you opened the protest.
Note: After every file/photo you choose hit the “upload”.
You may upload photos of your home that may support your opinion. These photos could be as simple as the original flooring that is still in your home or cracks in your walls.
Other evidence to consider are estimate you have received from contractors for repairs that need to be done to your property.
I appreciate any referrals you send my way : ). Look around my site if you need info on buying/selling or just referrals for anything on your home. Between designing and real estate I stay very busy, but I always have time for questions if you need me. (210) 823-8088